Friday, January 27, 2012

Simple Dhal

  Exclusively my version


Dhal and rice / Dhal and roti is a common man's meal in India. A balanced meal, rich in proteins. Dhal can be made with different pulses and is prepared differently in different regions. Some regions use split Toor dal, some use Mung dal, Chana dal, Masoor dal, Urad dal, Rajma etc..

In Kerala, dhal or parippu is an inevitable part of the Kerala Sadhya. My father is from the north of Kerala and my mother from the south and parippu is prepared differently in both the regions. I grew up having lots of North Indian friends. So, I've tasted Dhal in lots of variations. The below recipe is a consolidated version of all the different dhal recipes I've known, my version. The tadka is the main highlight in this dhal recipe which I learnt from my cousin.

Ingredients :







Mung dal
-

1 cup
Turmeric powder
-

1/2 teaspoon
Onion (sliced)
-

1/2 Onion
Garlic (crushed)
-

2 cloves
Green chilli (slit)
-

1 no.
Coconut oil
-

2-3 tablespoons
Mustard seeds
-

1 teaspoon
Dried red chilli flakes
-

3-4 tablespoons
Curry leaves
-

2 stems
Shallots (finely sliced)
-

10 nos.
Tomato (diced)
-

1 medium
Water
-

3 cups
Salt
-

To taste.

Some people soak dal prior to cooking. But, I don't think mung dal requires soaking, since it cooks pretty fast. I've heard that dal cooks faster if cooked with turmeric. But, adding salt will slow down the cooking, so do not add salt until the very end.

Preparation Method :

Wash and drain the mung dal


In a sauce pan, boil water and add the dal, turmeric powder, onion, garlic and green chilli and cook until dal becomes tender. Many people face gastric problems when they have dhal and garlic is a good remedy to avoid that.




In a wok, crackle the mustard seeds.


Throw in the chilli flakes, shallots and curry leaves and sauté until shallots turn brown and crisp.



Add the diced tomato and sauté until tomato turns soft and mushy.


In it, pour in the cooked dal along with the liquid. Add salt to taste.


Stir well and bring to a boil.


Goes well with any kind of rice and roties.


Serves 3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.. :) Write to me here..